Berrien County Courthouse Shooter Raped & Gave Meth to Teen He Was Holding Captive
Larry Darnell Gordon, the man who shot and killed two bailiffs and wounded a deputy at the Berrien County Courthouse Monday, had been holding a 17-year-old girl captive for two months in a shed, giving her meth and raping her before his arrest in April, authorities said Wednesday.
Gordon, of Coloma, was shot and killed during the incident.
Coloma Township police arrived at Gordon's home on April 20 to arrest him on a domestic-violence warrant. They found a light on in the shed when they arrived, and Gordon barricaded himself inside of said shed. Eventually police were able to chase him out, and arrested him a few blocks away. They then found the teen inside the shed.
"He gave her methamphetamine in exchange for sex, forced some penetrations, and assaulted her with weapons, and assault by strangulation. He also video recorded the sexual activity," according to a news release from Berrien County Prosecutor Michael J. Sepic's office.
Gordon was facing the following charges:
- Five counts of criminal sexual conduct in the first degree, a life maximum;
- One count of kidnapping, a life maximum;
- Three counts of production of child sexually abusive material, a 20 year maximum;
- Possession with intent to deliver methamphetamine, a 20 year maximum;
- One count of criminal sexual conduct in the 3rd degree, a 15 year maximum;
- One count of unlawful imprisonment, a 15 year maximum;
- Two counts of assault by strangulation, a 10 year maximum;
- One count of assault with a dangerous weapon, a 4 year maximum;
- Two counts of resisting and obstructing a police officer, 2 year maximums; and
- Misdemeanor charges of possession of marijuana and malicious destruction of building.
Gordon had previously been convicted of:
- 1992 a federal conviction for possession of pipe bomb;
- 1998 in Barry County, fleeing and eluding 3rd degree;
- 1998 a federal conviction for possession of pipe bomb;
- 2002 a federal conviction for felon in possession of a firearm;
- 2013 in Berrien County, larceny in a building.
Gordon was in court Monday for the dismissal of the original domestic violence charges.