Michigan Ranks 9th In States With Worst Bullying Problems
In 2016, Michigan was ranked the worst state in the country for bullying, but just a couple years later we seem to be doing better. Every year, WalletHub releases a ranking of states with the worst bullying problems and this year Michigan ranked 9th on that list.
WalletHub used the following methodology to come up with their rankings: Bullying Prevalence, Bullying Impact & Treatment, and Anti-Bullying Laws. Breaking those down even further, here is how Michigan ranked compared to other states based on some specific metrics: (1st is biggest and 24th is average).
- 11th in percent of High School Students Bullied on School Property
- 5th in percent of High School Students Bullied Online
- 15th in percent of High School Students Involved in Physical Fight at School
- 16th in percent of High School Students Who Missed School for Fear of Being Bullied
- 23rd in percent of High School Students Who Attempted Suicide
- 11th in percent Cost of Truancy for Schools Due to Bullying
- 9th in percent State Anti-Bullying Laws & Policies
- 2nd in percent State Anti-Cyberbullying Laws Requiring School Policy
Michigan has shown some pretty drastic improvement from just a couple of years ago, but we have a long way to go to get our state's bullying problem under control. Below you can find the states with the worst bullying problems as well as the states that have some of the most control on their bullying problems.
The Top 5 States With The Worst Bullying Problem
The Bottom 5 States With The Worst Bullying Problem
Here are some resources and other articles that we've put together over the years about bullying:
- Self-Esteem, Bullying, Peer Pressure, and Other Child Psychology for Back to School
- Michigan’s Hotline to Report School Bullying, Harassment, Self-Harm, Drugs and More
- Anti-Bullying Campaign ‘The Chalkboard Project’ Comes to Spring Lake High School
- 'I Am a Witness' Campaign Introduces New Anti-Bullying Emoji
- Steve's Stories - Bullying
If you are being bullied or know someone who is don't hesitate to tell someone about or use one of the resources available to you.