Renewing Your Plates In Michigan Is Becoming Even Easier
Getting your plates renewed is about to become a lot easier in West Michigan as the Secretary of State's office just announced a partnership with Meijer, which will put the self-service kiosk used to renew tags for autos and motorcycles and request tags for watercraft to be mailed to you.
Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson's office said in a press release that the kiosks will be put into 28 Meijer stores in West Michigan,
“Meijer stores are a favorite shopping spot for many Michiganders, and now many of them will also be a place where you can complete secretary of state transactions, such as renewing your tabs. We’re very pleased to partner with Meijer to bring this convenience to our mutual customers.”
The press release also says soon the kiosks will also be able to handle other stuff you currently have to go to the SOS office to complete, although they didn't go into detail, but said those features would be available after the department finishes their computer system upgrade in March 2021.
Here's a list from the press release of the new kiosk locations,
- Auburn Hills – 800 Brown Road
- Battle Creek – 2191 Columbia Ave. W
- Battle Creek – 6405 B Drive N
- Belleville – 9701 Belleville Road
- Big Rapids – 15400 Waldron Way
- Cadillac – 8605 34 Road
- Chesterfield – 27255 23 Mile Road
- Clinton Township – 40445 S. Groesbeck Highway
- Commerce Township – 1703 Haggerty Highway
- Detroit – 1301 W. Eight Mile Road
- Detroit – 21431 Grand River Ave.
- Escanaba – 505 N. 26th St.
- Fraser – 34835 Utica Road
- Gaylord – 250 Meijer Drive
- Grand Rapids – 1540 28th St. SE
- Greenville – 606 S. Greenville West Drive
- Kalamazoo – 6660 W. Main St.
- Lincoln Park – 3710 Dix Highway
- Ludington – 3900 W. U.S. 10
- Madison Heights – 1005 E. 13 Mile Road
- Marysville – 205 S. Range Road
- Mount Pleasant – 1015 Pickard St.
- Muskegon – 700 W. Norton Ave.
- Portage – 5121 S. Westnedge Ave.
- Rochester Hills – 3175 S. Rochester Road
- Roseville – 30800 Little Mack Ave.
- Shelby Township – 15055 Hall Road
- Southfield – 28800 Telegraph Road
They say more locations are coming soon. They're also using a new kiosk that now accepts cash as well as American Express, which those two weren't accepted with the old machines.
These are so convenient. I'm not even getting paid to say sweet nothings about the kiosks, but I've used them the last couple years to renew my tags and love how quick I can get that yearly dreaded task out of the way. If you haven't checked them out, super easy to use, and available 24/7, which is perfect if you're a procrastinator and tend to wait until the VERY last moment to get stuff done.