How Hot Will It Get? Warm Weather Is Coming To West Michigan
This is not a drill people! warm weather is on the way to West Michigan.
Michiganders are used to the five seasons (winter, spring, summer, fall, and construction. My least favorite is a tie between (winter and construction).
When Will The Warm Weather Arrive in West Michigan?
If current predictions hold, most of West Michigan will have a chance to get into the 80s starting next week on Tuesday, May 10th.
Michiganders could experience at least two days of 80-plus temperatures with partly cloudy skies. Which is long overdue with all the crappy weather we've had this spring.
Prepare For The Warm Weather
Now that the warmer weather is on it's important to take steps to protect yourself and your family. cancer.net offers up these tips to protect your skin.
- Use sunscreen every day, even if it’s cloudy.
- Apply at least one ounce of sunscreen (enough to fill a shot glass) at least 15 to 30 minutes before going outside. Also, use a lip balm or lipstick that contains sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of at least 30.
- Choose a broad-spectrum sunscreen that protects against both UVA and UVB radiation. Make sure it is water-resistant and has an SPF of 30 or higher. Other sunscreens may help keep you from getting sunburned, but they won’t protect against skin cancer.
- Be extra careful around water and sand. These surfaces reflect the damaging rays of the sun, which can increase your chance of getting a sunburn.
- Keep babies younger than six months old completely covered and in the shade.
- Limit the amount of time you’re in the sun between 10:00 AM and 4:00 PM. This is when the sun's rays are the most intense. Practice the shadow rule: if your shadow is shorter than you, the sun's rays are at their strongest, and you should find shade.
- If possible, wear a long-sleeved shirt and long pants. Dark clothing with tightly woven fabric blocks more sun than white or loosely woven fabrics. For additional protection, look for clothes made with special sun-protective materials.
- Accessorize with a hat that shades your face, neck, and ears and a pair of sunglasses. Sunglasses with lenses that have 99% to 100% UV absorption provide optimal protection for the eyes and the surrounding skin.
I've got my fingers crossed that this prediction comes true! I'm ready to enjoy lake Michigan and go tubing down the Muskegon River this summer!