Multiple Michigan Colleges Close Due to Coronavirus Concerns
Following in the footsteps of Michigan State University, multiple Michigan colleges are moving to online-only courses due to coronavirus concerns.
As of Thursday afternoon MSU,The University of Michigan, Western Michigan University, Michigan Tech, Grand Valley State University, Central Michigan University, and Lake Superior State University have suspended face-to-face lectures.
This measure is being taken to ensure continued campus safety and help slow the spread of the illness, which helps ease demand on health care systems now and in the coming days and weeks. There remain no known cases of COVID-19 on campus.
Our goals are to deliver on our mission while protecting health and safety by minimizing the potential spread of the disease, both within our community and in the broader society. The changes we are announcing today follow the general public health principle of limiting the interaction of people within larger groups to diminish disease transmission and protect everyone in our communities, particularly the most vulnerable."
Many schools are canceling classes March 12 and 13. Additional information about each school's course of action can be found here:
- University of Michigan classes will remain online through April 21
- Michigan State University classes will remain online for the remainder of the semester.
- Western Michigan University classes will remain online through April 3
- Central Michigan University classes will remain online through March 20
- Michigan Technical Institute classes will remain online through April 19
- Lake Superior State University classes will remain online through April 17
- Grand Valley State University classes will remain online through March 29
- Hope College classes will remain online through April 14
- Grand Rapids Community College classes will remain online through April 3
- Oakland University classes will remain online through April 25
- Saginaw Valley State classes will remain online through April 17
- Wayne State University, online classes to start after spring break ends March 23
- Eastern Michigan University online classes through March 31
- Northern Michigan University online classes through April 3
- Ferris State University will switch to online courses at all campus locations for at least a week beginning Monday, March 16th.
- Calvin University classes will remain online through April 13
- Cornerstone University, classes canceled through March 20, after that, switching to online courses through April 14
- Kalamazoo Valley Community College has suspended in-person classes until April 6.
- Aquinas College - Spring Break has been extended and will now end March 20. Beginning March 23 through at least April 24, all classes will shift to distance learning. No in-person classes will be held.
Post will be updated as additional schools make announcements.